Let me take a moment off my designing homework to reminisce a little on the few things I have found myself being attracted to this week: road-trips, neon colored drinks, train stations, polaroids and diners.
Just kidding; who doesn't find these likeable in all senses?

via: surf-hard-or-die-trying
Anyway, I wanted to pinpoint something I found astoundingly amusing this week: expectations.
The expectations I'm referring to here is by all means something that everyone wants out of a relationship; be it a friendship; a romantic entanglement, familial links or merely just a common bond. There's always an expectation there.
Maybe that's why certain people click easier than others? I've always wondered what drew me to my friends and likewise them to me. Is it because we have the same expectations of each other? I really don't know; and I'd probably never fully comprehend the way this bond works.
As we all know, there are certain levels in an ascertained friendship which differentiates individuals from just being mere acquaintances to that of best friends.
You see, acquaintances are just people you're familiar with, you might know their likes, dislikes and interests etc. But come to common ground, you say hi-and-bye in the hallways, but you never really stop to get to know the other; and frankly, you couldn't care if you wouldn't be seeing them forever again.
Will it be safe to say that not everyone thinks of us the same way? For example, I could always just assume someone is my best friend, and yet know I don't hold the same label in their hearts. It doesn't matter, right? Because there's a reason why they're holding that label for you. And that itself, is just enough.
My best friend and I have a love/hate relationship. We're brutally honest with each other. Too honest, sometimes. But somebody's got to be. We lay the truth down bare and we couldn't give two shits what each thought of the other. Simultaneously, our opinions matter so much to each other. We're not affectionate around each other; in fact, we barely come into physical contact. We don't talk all the time, but rest assured that; should and in the event that anything severe is to occur, we'd both be among the first to know.
The one person I think about when a crisis strikes me, or just look forward to spilling something exciting that happened, would be the said best friend.
I suppose I'd enjoy a more affectionate relationship with said person, but things are just built the way they're built and I can't complain. There are a ton of things I'd like to do with him, but the lines have been drawn. We'd never be one of those pairs who text, whatsapp, Skype all the time and take instagram shots of each other like other best friends do. We're not going to go huggy-huggy/chummy-chummy saying "I-love-yous" and "Hi best friend/bye-best friend" shit.
Why? You wonder. I've realized that all those might be sweet and thoughtful, but it also seems rather exhibitionist. Does the world really need to know that you're close? That you secretly cannot live without the other, in a platonic way. No, they don't. Because this friendship is special and should be kept special, with discretion and secrecy in tact. Maybe it's just me. But I like sharing a secret world with just one person.
Likewise with romantic relationships. I don't believe you should be dating your best friend, because that is just impossible. Once again, maybe for me.
I've always lived by this line, "I am low-maintenance, but I have high expectations."
In the sense, my expectations aren't common, they aren't necessarily 'high', I just pay more attention to the detail that others neglect. I respect thoughtfulness, sweetness, chivalry, trust and honesty. Honesty with discretion and rationale.
I know for a fact that insecurity is part and parcel of every relationship. Don't get into a relationship and not expect any from your partner; because that will be a causal factor should there be a break-up. The various types of insecurity is extremely pivotal. Reassurance won't exactly help a person feel better. That's where trust comes in. One should never let jealousy get the better of him.
I've read quotes on the internet, not that I went looking around for them; they just find me (smacks face). And I guess that jealousy is necessary. Should an individual not get a little, note this - a little jealous in a relationship; you've obviously got an emotionless, cold and distant partner who might not feel the same way about you.
I've learnt, there's only one way to overcome jealousy. You don't think. You don't think at all, you don't think about it; you forget it. You make yourself forget. And trust.
And that is why it's a risky thing to be in a relationship. The amount of oneself put into maintaining it might have after-effects should it end.
Then again, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Live it.
No comments:
Post a Comment