Friday, July 20, 2012

To the man who wouldn't look straight;

Friday, July 20, 2012
It was just another day in school, or so I thought. Stacking up the piles of notes I'd compiled from a lecture, I made my way to the computer lab to get some work done. Moreover for the peace from a group of perpetually warmly noisy peers. 

It's always been more peaceful in there. Maybe it's because people tend to think that it's like a brother to the library that they end up whispering instead of talking. Or maybe it's because they're afraid others overhear their conversations? 

I'm not one for conversations when I'm in the middle of working. I like a preferably peaceful and quiet environment, where my thoughts are mine to hear alone. It makes it all the more personalized. 

Snuggled up in the plastic chair, facing a screen which bore no comfort to the familiarity of my own laptop; I struggled to stay awake. The sleep I was deprived of threatened to spread itself over me. Earphones plugged in playing to music on mute just as a sign to others I wasn't up for a conversation. It's serious work, that way. 

But then...out of the reflection of a temporarily black spot on the screen; I see him. He's staring right at me. From behind. 

I don't want to turn around. No, I'd give myself away too soon. Blinking in an oblivious pretence, I falsely assume he's just dreaming; only to realize he's still staring transfixed and blinking at the same spot minutes later. Annoyed and a little irked, I turn around. He blinks and hastily looks away; afraid to be caught. So I was right, he was staring at me.

Contemplating whether to just leave the room or to sit awkwardly until I finish, I find myself turning around instead and asking, 'Hi. Do you know what the real time is? All the clocks in this room are screwed.' 

He blushes. And I avoid looking at him directly. 'Yeah. It's 2:45.' 

'Thanks.' I say and turn around. We don't talk until I finally get up to leave. That's when I say 'bye' and he says, 'I'll see you in class.'

Walking out, I felt completely idiotic for staring back at him with a 'WHAT' expression plastered on my more-than-surprised face. I was pretty sure I never noticed him in any of my classes before. That made me feel like I was turning into one of those girls in Hollywood movies who don't pay any attention to people around them. It's a sad world we live in.

I walked past him again today and he smiled. I guess it's the first time all over again, and I find it so sweet; how friendships and acquaintances develop so innocently. 


No comments:

Intrinsic Ponderings © 2014