Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday, July 27, 2012
I'm thinking I should do some light reading after finals. But will there ever be a more appropriate time? Things are racing and flying past me. Nothing seems to be in control.

I heard of Haruki Murakami only last year, (I know-.- I'm such a whatever when it comes to following trends). At first sight, his works didn't impress me so much. Then I watched Norwegian Wood; yep, the whole close-to-three hours of it; and I found it intensely puzzling. I mean it in the sense that I was until up to that point, completely ignorant of people who lived in a world of their own; their psychological states spiralling out of control; feelings muted and magnified; their aspects so alien compared to our own.

It was beautiful. In a very disturbing way. It still is beautiful. When I saw Naoko (played by the brilliant Rinko Kikuchi); it was almost as if an immunity to grief had just been lifted. I don't know why; but it was almost liberating just watching her pull off her interpretation of grieving. 

And then Toru figuring out the difference between his love for Naoko and Midori was basically the highlight of the entire show. It's such an essential thing, don't you agree; to know yourself. Like for example, knowing what you're attracted to, what you prefer, what you feel and the extent of feeling it.

But Toru and Naoko confuse me. Midori seemed to be the only person who remained clear throughout the entire show. It does bug me a little that she's stick-thin and looks almost child-like. 


via fashion-and-film

What I feel for Naoko is a tremendously quiet and gentle and transparent love, but what I feel for Midori is a wholly different emotion. It stands and walks on its own, living and breathing and throbbing and shaking me to the roots of my being. I don’t know what to do. I’m confused. I’m not trying to make excuses for myself, but I do believe that I have lived as sincerely as I know how. I have never lied to anyone, and I have taken care over the years not to hurt other people. And yet I find myself tossed into this labyrinth. How can this be? I can’t explain it. I don’t know what I should do.
Toru Watanabe, Norwegian Wood

No comments:

Intrinsic Ponderings © 2014