Friday, April 3, 2015

So close to home

Friday, April 3, 2015
"Why are you alone?" A soothing tenor voice crooned against my ear. 

I found myself face to face with a rather dashing young gentleman. He certainly had poise, a good command of the language and wasn't lacking in looks either. But he certainly lacked something - diplomacy. 

"I'm not alone." I tell him, moving 3 steps back, unnerved by the width of intimacy he imposed upon my face (and the rest of me). 

I've been asked this question quite a number of times the past week. In different scenarios of course and I occasionally wonder if I have a very "single and alone" look that is cause for this. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten adequate answers. 

What I'm truly curious about, is the nature of why people ask that question. Why do they use "why" and not simply just "Are you alone"? Is it such a big deal to turn up at a party, sit in a cafe, walk in the mall alone? 

I enjoy being alone on many occasions, and I strongly believe that there's nothing wrong with being alone or being single. Some people are so, by choice; others have it forced upon them. But whatever it is, one should make the best out of it. 

Needless to say, the freedom is addictive. No weights to hold you down. And I'm enjoying every ride on this journey.

No comments:

Intrinsic Ponderings © 2014