Wednesday, April 29, 2015

april highlights.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015
Apart from being particularly busy this month finishing up my last semester of university in Malaysia, here is a short and simple compilation of some interesting finds I have come across this month.

1. Lost River.
    
via: cinemavirtue

Ryan Gosling recently made his writing and directorial debut on the silver screen with his new movie, Lost River.

I admit I only considered watching it after having thought the trailer was mighty interesting. However, I felt that despite the star-studded cast comprising of Christina Hendricks, Eva Mendez (his own wife, dammit) and Saoirse Ronan, the movie failed to impress me on so many levels. 

via: seethroughnegligees

Gosling chose a highly artistic and conceptual angle to portray a dystopian society. And although I felt that certain aspects of the film was immensely difficult to interpret due to either a. the abysmal level of content or b. the lack of content and logic; it is still something I would consider watching.

Simply because he incorporated wonderful photography angles and well, the whole “secret underwater town” idea is pretty damned genius.

I understand not all films are up to Hollywood’s cookie cutter standards and this film is probably not for everyone. But I quite enjoyed it. So perhaps, give it a shot? 

2. Jeff Leatham.

I first heard of Jeff Leatham 2 years ago when I caught him on a Korean documentary. His work was being featured in the Shilla Hotel in Seoul and it was my first encounter with floral art. Fast forward to the present, I still try to keep up to date with his work. 

Google images: dujour.com

As reigning artistic director at the Four Seasons in George V, Paris; Leatham is some sort of celebrity in the art and design world. He continues to set design benchmarks with his signature floral pieces and sculptural installations – somewhat a hallmark in his trade.

His pieces are reflective of a sense of ethereal beauty and feature no repetition of ideas; giving off such a surreal vibe. They embody a magical feel of stepping into a sacred and secret garden. Displaying lavishness and innovation, Jeff Leatham is a visionary of the arts.

And he is even on Instagram! 

3. Shakshouka.

I fell sick this month for about a week. And during that week, I was sort of “bed-ridden” and confined to total bed-rest. In my restless state, I started watching cooking videos and all sorts of food tutorials. And I stumbled upon this video on how to make Shakshouka.

source: blog.bookalokal.com/

To keep it short, according to Wikipedia, Shakshouka is a Tunisian Arab dish of poached eggs served in a pan of tomatoes, chillis, onions and peppers. It has a very strong flavoring and I am probably attracted to it because of the tomatoes.

It’s pretty easy to make and looks absolutely appetizing. Tastes even better than it looks. I know fully well I’ll be making this rather often when I’m on my own. 

4.   Hamish Bowles’ apartment.

Hamish Bowles is an eccentric man. Highly eccentric, I should probably add. On one of my internet haunts, I stumbled upon pictures of his beautifully decorated apartments in both Paris and New York. 

source: stylebyemilyhenderson.com

source: hahninteriors.wordpress.com

The international editor of Vogue, Bowles certainly channels his eccentricity in his taste for interior design. I’m afraid I simply cannot do his style justice. These selection of pictures will have to do. 



I would have loved to do a longer post, but this will have to do for now. Since I am on summer break, I suppose I shall be updating a lot more frequently, I will try my best.

P.S. I do not take credit for any of the images posted above. They were all sourced from Google and cited with their sources intact. 

No comments:

Intrinsic Ponderings © 2014