Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wednesday, September 4, 2013
source: kristacwhite

A friend of mine once came to me in a "mess" - frazzled, dazed, frustrated; but oh-so-happy. He was in love, he claimed. I had to believe him, because I had never seen him in a more confusing state. His smile, contagious and the way he described her just simply brought a smile to my lips. She sounded beautiful. 

What surprised me most was when her name was brought up, it was one that I recognized - from previous conversations. It isn't coincidence that the girl he was (is - I put, because they are happy together - with whatever stage they are at) in love with, he'd been in love with before. Over the years, he'd pursued her, from a friendly and romantic perspective (multiple times, might I add); had a falling out with her (once again, multiple times), dropped to the status as strangers from friends, before reverting back to friends; and having something happened that made him fall in love with her all over again and again. And again. 

The problem that I find so hard to swallow, is that he had never fully gotten over her in the first place and according to him, he probably never will; even if anything else was to happen to them. 

With permission to discuss this, and a healthy dose of opinions contributed, we both agree that they probably have one of the most complex relationships alive. When asked why they love each other, but yet date other people; his very blunt answer to me was, "I know what I'm going to end up with. But I don't know what I won't end up with.

It is with the utmost confusion that I ponder this. It makes so much sense, yet it's so hard to just grasp this very concept. 

I know I've broached this topic once and I will probably do it again, but it's one of the topics that have been surfacing at the front of my mind more recently as of late. It's one of the things that I struggle to comprehend when I try to interpret my surroundings, society and situations I come across.

Maybe, one day I'll understand. 

No comments:

Intrinsic Ponderings © 2014