


Beautiful scenic design models from Matilda The Musical by Tony-winner Rob Howell and his crew.
via: pli1018
I'm quite a movie buff; but I'm painfully selective over the type of shows that I watch. I tend to spoil it for myself almost all the time (I shit you not). So, having gone on a movie in an actual cinema (for the first time in months), I still stand by the fact that cinemas aren't really my thing. Something about the whole voyeuristic feeling of being inside a dark room, the potentiality of being watched and scrutinized from security camera and the whole impersonal and public feel of the "arena" makes me feel so out of place and self-conscious. I feel repressed and depressed inside a dark cinema and that overwhelming feeling often makes me feel like I need a light (or ten); the oppressive sounds coming from the speakers.
So while everyone else was enjoying the wholly actionable scenes of Thor 2, I scrunched lower into my seat and contemplated some unnecessary facts of life that I had yet to think of. Maybe even the most ridiculous scenarios that life could have conjured up for me in the darkness of a cinema. Harrrrrr...how amusing.
And I also realized that I've only been to an actual theater a few times. Or maybe a couple more than I can recall, but I really can't pinpoint anything memorable from shows that I've sat through. Musical recitals, dance recitals, drama plays and musicals. It's been a dream to actually watch a real theater show. Something about a theater that seems so open and surreal - so welcoming, so honest and real - the definition of real art - openly expressive, welcoming-ly brutal about portrayals.
No comments:
Post a Comment