Wednesday, September 2, 2015

what this summer has taught me

Wednesday, September 2, 2015
What this summer has taught me
While I come to terms with the fact that my (extended) summer break was spent none too wisely, I also understand that the fault lies solely upon myself.

Firstly, there were many things that I did wrong this summer; they range from being idle to fooling around far too much. To cut it short, I invested my time in non-productive efforts. And I regret it immensely now.

Unfortunately for me, it is a little too late to fret over spilt milk.

Here is a list of things that I should have done over this summer break:

-      Done an internship. One or two months (doesn’t matter), it would look good on your CV
-     Picked up several part-time jobs. These in turn help you familiarize yourself with various industries and at the same time allows you to earn a nice side income.
-       Saved up for a rainy day. Instead of spending your days going out with friends and spending money, saving money for a particular purpose will prove very rewarding to yourself in the future.
-       Learn a new language
-       Reacquaint myself with music
-       Start working out, to permanently lose some of that fat and build lean muscle instead.
-       Partied less
-       Be adventurous in the kitchen
-       Done more things on my own.

I should have, in summary: utilized and planned my time better. Call it lack of discipline or whatever it is you may; but it appears as if my resolution for 2015 has gone down the drain…yet again.
On the other hand, I put together a brief list of some of the valuable lessons I learnt during this summer.

1.    Time heals all wounds.
At the start of the summer, I could probably say my life had taken a downward spiral, despite finding my bearings several times; I seemed to have a knack for gravitating back towards the path of self-destruction over and over again. And each time, it took ages to pick myself up and get out of that slump.
It took a lot of tough-love from myself, travelling and meeting other people to finally come to terms with the breakup that was the albatross of my 20th year. I realized all I had to be was patient and open minded; I should have kept busy doing more productive things instead of indulging in a lifestyle that I am none too proud of.
And while I have recovered from the worst point of my life, I can also safely say that some parts of a person will never recover. One can never love the same twice, but every experience sets you on the path to greater happiness and improvement.
It takes maturity to find wisdom in the midst of pain, but when you do so; you know you’re on the right track.

2.    Never settle
In your 20s, you are at the peak of your youth and life. Bursting with energy and a hunger to live; there is no need for you to be tied down to someone.
Date, not for the sake of dating. Move around. See people. Do things with different people. Expand your network. Meet all kinds of people and maintain an open mind towards it.
There is so much waiting for you out there to be wasted on one person in your youth.

3.    Manage your time better
The magic I would have accomplished had I only managed my time better L
Oh well, you learn from your mistakes. There are plenty that I would have loved to do; and I only regret it when my time left here is short.

4.    Explore all your options
There is always more than one way.
Learn something new every day. Keep a planner. Document each and every thing. Challenge yourself all the time. Step out of your comfort zone.
You’ll never know if you never try.


I end this post on a bright note. To make full use of each and every day that is blessed upon you.


No comments:

Intrinsic Ponderings © 2014