My
mother always says, nobody is indispensable.
I
used to think otherwise.
So
imagine my surprise when I replaced the one person I thought I would never get
over in the blink of an eye.
It
wasn’t without difficulty though.
We
met while he was intoxicated and stumbling around. I turned away in disdain,
unimpressed. So how was it that his smooth words crawled their way into my
heart?
I
felt my gaze soften under the intensity of his stare. I stared back, perplexed,
confused and skeptical. There wasn’t anything about this guy that stood out
particularly to me, except the fact that he wouldn’t let go of my hand and
still wasn’t saying anything.
I
find myself smiling. Smiling, because for once, I am absolutely and utterly clueless
as to what I ought to do.
I
don’t have to do anything though. His friends fly in a series of rescue, urging
him to let me go and to participate in their group photographs. Still, he
smiles and pats my hand. His fingers clasping gently on my wrist. “I’ll come
back,” he says, “I’ll come back for you.”
My, I think. The fellow is too handsome for his own good. And mine.
He
does, “come back”. And like he
promises, he wants my name, number and to know what I like. But against all
odds, I say no. I say no because I don’t want him to forget. And he will.
He
insists. He doesn’t leave me alone. He smiles at me and whispers in my ear,
holding my hand again. Persistent, this rascal.
And
as I watch him leave, I know I am in trouble. Because for the first time since
I had my heart broken, I am now looking at the next one who will break it.
No comments:
Post a Comment